Who doesn't love chocolate and creamy mint? Make it gluten-free and sugar-free and there you got me! Keto flourless chocolate grasshopper cake. Just a little bit of decadence to treat your everyday.
PIN it here for later!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Other than peanut butter and chocolate, there are few other flavors I like better together than mint and chocolate. Do you sense a theme? I may have a chocolate problem.
Chocolate mint has long been one of my favorite flavor combinations. As a child, I loved to go to local JB's Drive-In and order a Junior Mint Flurry. Oh yes, probably an entire package of Junior Mints mixed in ice cream.
And I was in heaven.
Nowadays, I've found it's not so good for me to have that much sugar. Right? I have to get my chocolate mint fix in other ways. A rich chocolaty keto flourless grasshopper cake is sure to fit the bill. Especially with a divine layer of mint cream running through it.
IN A HURRY?
While I think you’ll love my super helpful tips and fun stories, I also realize we are sometimes pressed for time and just need a good recipe!
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the printable recipe to make it NOW or PIN it here for later!
How can a cake be flourless?
Flourless chocolate cake has become super-popular in the last few years. However, how can it be a cake if it's flourless? Let's take a look at the usual ingredients.
Most flourless chocolate cake recipes I've come across rely on a larger amount of eggs, chocolate, sugar, baking powder, and cocoa powder. Variations on these ingredients bake together to make a very rich, dark chocolate cake.
Usually, the texture is denser than a traditional chocolate cake and sometimes moister. This is because of the lack of any sort of flour to poof it up a bit.
What can I use as a natural food coloring?
As much as possible I like to use natural food colorings, especially those you can find every day around your house!
When I first experimented with the creamy mint layer, I knew I wanted it to be green. In fact, I wanted it to scream, "I'm green! I'm creamy mint alongside a divinely dark chocolate cake!"
Do you know what I came up with? Well, I started out playing with cocoa butter, cream cheese, and heavy cream. Then I thought about that healthy creamy fat found in something that just happens to be green naturally!
Why put fake green food coloring in something when you can get a healthy creamy fat that's already green? Win, win!
Now for you skeptics out there, first let me say I'm not naturally an avocado fan. Actually, I'm one of those weird people who cannot stand guacamole. Sorry, but yes, it's true.
How is that possible so many people ask me incredulously. Well, for me, and for quite a few others I've found, it's all down to the texture of the avocado. However, when you blend it up with other ingredients I'm perfectly fine with it, and it works well!
TO MAKE KETO FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE GRASSHOPPER CAKE YOU'LL NEED:
- large to medium-sized bowls
- a spatula
- measuring cups and spoons
- blender or –
- hand mixer
- 9″ springform pan
“The End is Nigh!" the man shouted.
"Is there still time for hot chocolate?" Riley asked.
The-End-is-Nigh guy blinked. "Ah, maybe, I don’t know.”
- Jana Oliver, Forbidden
HOW TO MAKE KETO FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE GRASSHOPPER CAKE
This recipe is really in three parts because there are three layers. It's not complicated but needs to be done in order. Shall we start with the cake?
Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake
Start out by getting all the ingredients for the cake portion out as well as the springform pan and utensils.
Second, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease the sides of an 8-inch springform pan with butter. Next, cut out a circle piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan.
Sometimes people feel it's a huge inconvenience to measure and cut out parchment paper, but it doesn't take long and then you don't have to worry about the cake sticking!
Now, place the circle of paper in the bottom of the pan and butter it as well. Set it aside for the moment.
Then to make the cake, put the chocolate and butter in a small saucepan and heat it on medium until the butter is melted. The unsweetened chocolate should just begin to melt also.
Turn the heat off and stir it all until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
Next, add the sweetener, salt, and vanilla extract and stir to combine it all together evenly.
In a new bowl, crack the eggs and beat them with a whisk. Then pour them into the chocolate mixture and stir it all well until smooth.
Now it's time to add the cocoa powder and stir until just combined. Be careful not to over mix! After that, pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake the cake for 20 minutes or until it has a thin crust on the top.
What's in the grasshopper mint filling?
While the cake is cooling, it's time to make the grasshopper mint filling.
First, get out a small bowl, and combine the water and gelatin. Then set it aside to bloom for 8-10 minutes.
How does gelatin bloom?
When you're speaking about gelatin, allowing it to bloom simply means allowing the gelatin granules to absorb the water. This is done in cool water so that when it is later heated, it melts/dissolves evenly.
Next, in a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a simmer then pour it into a high-speed blender (or the bowl of a stand mixer). Now add in the sweetener, cream cheese, and avocado and blend it up on high speed for 35-40 seconds.
Then, use a spatula to add in the bloomed gelatin and measure in the mint extract. Blend on high again to melt and incorporate the gelatin.
After that, spread the mixture on top of the cooled cake, cover, and place it in the refrigerate to set.
Make the sugar-free chocolate ganache
It's actually pretty easy to make a sugar-free chocolate ganache. All you do it put the sugar-free chocolate chips in a glass or metal bowl. Set that aside for a minute.
Next, in a small saucepan, bring the cream barely to a simmer. Immediately pour it over the chocolate chips. Now let it stand for 2 minutes, then stir it all until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
Get the cake back out of the fridge and pour the ganache over the mint layer. Smooth the top and make it look pretty. Also, you can top it with more sugar-free chocolate chips, shaved chocolate, or other decorations.
Refrigerate the cake for at least 2 hours before removing it from the springform pan. Cut and serve!
How to store keto flourless chocolate grasshopper cake
The cake is best when eaten immediately. Fresh is often better! However, if you'd like to prep it for later, place the cake in an airtight container, and it can be kept in the refrigerator for up to one week.
If you'd like to freeze it, I would say keep it in the freezer for up to one month before using. I have put it in foil in portions and frozen it for special treats.
What are your favorite mint chocolate desserts?
Do you love mint chocolate as much as I do? What are your favorite desserts with mint chocolate?
There's mint chocolate ice cream of course. What about mint chocolate brownies, cupcakes, pie? I'll be working on some new ketofied versions of these favorites. Are there any others we should try?
Let me know in the comments below!
Pin the recipe here:
Tag me in your recipe pics on Instagram @explorermomma.
If you LOVE this recipe please consider giving it a five-star rating in the review area below!
My favorite keto dessert recipes
- Creamy Keto Strawberry Cheesecake
- Keto Peanut Butter Pie
- Keto Blackberry Cobbler
- Low Carb Lemon Blueberry Cream Cake
- Almond Raspberry Keto Bakewell Tart
Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup organic cocoa powder
Grasshopper Mint Filling
- 2 tsp grass-fed gelatin
- 3 tbsp water
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 large avocado
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sweetener
- 2 tsp mint extract
Keto Chocolate Ganache
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8-inch springform pan with butter. Cut out a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan. Place it in the bottom of the pan and butter it as well. Set aside.
- To make the cake, put the chocolate and butter in a small saucepan and heat until the butter is melted and the unsweetened chocolate begins to melt. Turn off the heat and stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the sweetener, salt, and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Crack the eggs into a new bowl and beat with a whisk. Then pour them into the chocolate mixture and stir until smooth. Add the cocoa powder and stir until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake the cake for 20 minutes or until the cake has a thin crust on the top.
- While the cake is cooling, make the grasshopper mint filling. In a small bowl, combine water and gelatin and set it aside to bloom for 8-10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, bring heavy cream to a simmer then pour it into a high-speed blender (or bowl of a stand mixer). Add in the sweetener, cream cheese, and avocado and blend on high for 35-40 seconds.
- Use a spatula to add in the bloomed gelatin and measure in the mint extract. Blend on high again to melt and incorporate the gelatin.
- Spread the mixture on top of the cooled cake, cover, and place it in the refrigerate to set.
- Place the sugar-free chocolate chips in a glass or metal bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a bare simmer. Immediately pour it over the chocolate chips. Let it stand for 2 minutes, then stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the ganache over the mint layer and smooth the top. Top with more sugar-free chocolate chips, shaved chocolate, or other decorations. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before removing the springform and serving.
Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake
Grasshopper Mint Filling
Keto Chocolate Ganache
Servings 16.0 Amount Per Serving Calories 259 Total Fat 26 g Saturated Fat 15 g Monounsaturated Fat 6 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 92 mg Sodium 54 mg Potassium 204 mg Total Carbohydrate 6 g Net Carbohydrate 1 g Dietary Fiber 5 g Sugars 0 g Protein 6 g
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259
This data was provided and calculated by Myfitnesspal.com. For most accurate facts, calculate your own with the exact ingredients you use in the recipe.