Beautiful and full of flavor, this is the best Keto Berry Trifle and a delicious show stopper for Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, or any summer party. Creamy goodness and filled with gluten-free, sugar-free lemon pound cake, custard, berries, and cream.
Have you ever heard of trifle? Here in the U.S., it’s not served nearly as often as in Britain and not so well known. I remember the first time I heard of a trifle was on a cooking show when I was in high school. I remember thinking, “Wow! Cream, custard, and cake? That’s pretty perfect! Why haven’t I had this before?”
The actual word “trifle” comes from the old French “trufle”, meaning whimsical or of little consequence. Traditionally, a true English trifle has a sponge cake soaked in some sort of alcohol (often brandy) and fruit. It’s topped with custard and cream and sometimes nuts or other berries.
Today elaborate trifles can be seen at picnics, holidays, and on cooking shows. It’s truly an impressive dessert and feeds a large crowd happily. On a keto diet, this is an amazingly delicious version for any party or event. Go on. You know you want to try it. 😉
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small percentage if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
In a hurry?
While I think you’ll love my super helpful tips and fun stories, I also realize we are sometimes pressed for time and just need a good recipe! Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the printable recipe or PIN it here for later!
That most wonderful object of domestic art called trifle with its charming confusion of cream and cake and almonds and jam and jelly and wine and cinnamon and froth.
How to make a cake plate into a trifle bowl
Can I tell you a little secret? I don’t have a trifle bowl. What? Then what’s that glass container in all the pictures?
Actually, it’s a cake plate with a dome. I know many of us have one sitting around for special occasions or maybe you were given one as a gift but rarely use it.
To make a cake plate with a dome into a trifle bowl, first, remove the dome. Then take the plate with the pedestal and turn it upside down. Now, pick up the dome, and turn it upside down. Next, fit the dome circle handle into the pedestal.
Take a look at the photo to get a more visual look at how this is done. Voílà! Now you have a trifle bowl to fill.
If you don’t have either, you can always make the trifle in any large bowl.
To make a Keto Berry Trifle, you’ll need:
- a spatula
- measuring cups and spoons
- blender or a mixer (standing or hand)
- trifle bowl or cake stand with dome
- large bowls
- a knife or icing spatula
How to make a Keto Berry Trifle
To begin, a keto berry trifle is all about assembly of the prepared layers. There are many layers in a trifle to create an impressive, delicious dessert. Therefore, once all the layers are ready, it’s pretty simple to put together.
Layers in the low carb trifle:
- Lemon pound cake. See my recipe here: Lemon Keto Pound Cake or make/buy your own.
- Sugar-free raspberry jam. You can easily make your own raspberry jam with chia seeds (just sub raspberries for the strawberries in the recipe) or with gelatin as I indicate on the recipe card below.
- Whipped Cream
Gluten-free, sugar-free keto custard
Begin the trifle by making the custard so that it can chill while you prepare the other parts. I absolutely LOVE custard and make this custard recipe often for many different desserts and fillings.
First, place the egg yolks, almond milk, and sweetener in a blender. A blender?! You may say, but yes, a blender has become one of my favorite appliances with keto baking. Of course, if you prefer, you can always use a mixer.
Blend it all on high for 30-40 seconds and then turn it down to medium blend. Then, while the machine is still going, pour in the melted butter and process for another 20 seconds.
Second, pour the mixture into a saucepan and warm to medium heat, whisking vigorously until it coats the back of a spoon, about 3-5 minutes. Alternatively, if you worry about the eggs curdling, cook the mixture in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. I’m impatient and prefer to cook it straight in the saucepan, but you do have to whisk continuously and watch it like a hawk!
Third, remove the pan or bowl from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract and then the xanthan gum. It’s best to sort of sprinkle the xanthan gum over the entire mixture evenly and whisk it in so it doesn’t clump. Next, set the bowl in the fridge until chilled.
Tip: To prevent a film from forming on top, gently lay a piece of Saran wrap/cling film directly on the custard.
How to make sugar-free whipped cream
Next, it’s time to make the whipped cream. It’s super-simple and so worth whipping your own. In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream and sweetener 2-4 minutes until the whipped cream forms stiff peaks. Done! Super-easy, right?
Once the custard had chilled, fold half the whipped cream into the cooled custard.
Keto berry trifle assembly
The last thing to prepare before assembling the trifle is the pound cake. Cut the pound cake in slices about 3/4 of an inch thick. Then, spread a thick layer of sugar-free raspberry jam on the pieces. Now carefully place one layer of the pound cake pieces topped with jam in the trifle bowl.
Optional: If you want to be true to the traditional English trifle, before you put the jam on the pound cake, spoon several tablespoons of brandy or liqueur over the pieces.
Next, over the layer of pound cake, spoon on the custard and cream mixture. Gently even it out with a knife or spoon.
After that, sprinkle a few blueberries and sliced strawberries evenly over the custard.
Then, place another layer of pound cake with raspberry jam on top of the custard and berries. It’s starting to look rather divine!
Now, top it with the rest of the whipped cream in an even layer. Once it’s smoothed out, it’s the perfect canvas, if you will, to decorate with the berries. Create a work of art with remaining sliced strawberries and blueberries.
Lastly, chill until ready to serve to your delighted guests!
Summer berries and cream
What is better in summer than berries and cream? Not a lot, let me tell you!! Add some homemade custard, and I’m in heaven.
Also, keto or not, I do have to watch my portion size or I’m likely to eat half of it. However, don’t let that stop you! Enjoy those summer treats and fresh berries.
What are your favorite summer desserts? I hope you try out this delicious trifle. Take it one step at a time, and you’ll have a magnificent centerpiece for any summer event.
Pin the recipe here!
Tag me in your recipe pics on Instagram @explorermomma.
If you LOVE this recipe please consider giving it a five-star rating in the review area below!
More summer keto dessert recipes:
- Lemon Keto Pound Cake
- Low carb lemon blueberry cream cake
- Almond raspberry keto Bakewell tart
- Keto coconut lime dessert mousse
- Low carb chocolate pie
- Butter and jam keto thumbprint cookies
Keto Berry Trifle
- Trifle bowl or cake stand with domed lid
- 1 keto lemon pound cake
- 12 oz raspberries
- 1/4 cup powdered sweetener, such as Swerve Confectioners
- 2 tsp gelatin
- 8 eggs yolks
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup powdered sweetener, such as Swerve Confectioners
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sweetener, such as Swerve Confectioners
- 12 oz fresh organic strawberries, sliced
- 4 oz fresh blueberries
- Place the egg yolks, almond milk, and sweetener in a blender. Blend on high for 30-40 seconds then turn down to medium blend. While the machine is still going, pour in the melted butter and process for another 20 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and warm to a medium heat, whisking vigorously until it coats the back of a spoon, 3-5 minutes. (Alternatively, cook in a bowl over a saucepan of water to prevent the eggs from curdling).
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract and xanthan gum. Set the bowl in the fridge (or in ice water) until chilled.
- Beat the heavy cream and sweetener until the whipped cream forms stiff peaks.
- Fold half the cream into the cooled custard.
- Cut the pound cake in slices about 3/4 of an inch thick.
- Spread a thick layer of sugar-free raspberry jam on the pieces of pound cake and place one layer in the trifle bowl. Over that, spoon on the custard and cream mixture and even it out with a knife or spoon.
- Sprinkle a few blueberries and sliced strawberries evenly over the custard.
- Place another layer of pound cake with raspberry jam on the custard and berries.
- Top it with the rest of the whipped cream in an even layer.
- Decorate with remaining sliced strawberries and blueberries. Chill until ready to serve.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Total Fat 24 g|
|Saturated Fat 11 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 169 mg|
|Sodium 142 mg|
|Potassium 93 mg|
|Total Carbohydrate 7 g|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g|
|Sugars 3 g|
|Protein 7 g|